Hello My Friends!
Its that time again... yup, it comes around twice a year like clockwork. It means that a new collection is in the works and its time for you to make your kit plans for when it arrives so that you don't miss out. Woo-hoo!
Introducing our latest autumn flavored collection of fall time yumminess [how is that for a great introduction!].... HAZEL & PLUM. And as the selvedge says.... "she threw leaves in the air and watched them fall"... that kind of says it all right there don't you think?
... these are just some of the swatches, there are more!
HAZEL & PLUM is a perfect combination of a few of our ALL TIME favorite autumn flavored prints [such as the main floral] that we have brought back due to popular demand and a few new classics to round out the whole kitten caboodle! Colors include ivory, soft taupe, golden yellow, aqua, apple green, our signature tomato red and yes, we have brought back the plum! Easily the color that got the most comments at Market, the last time we offered this color was in our Tapestry collection.... and I'm not sure how many groups ago that was! We were definitely needing it again!
The collection itself will be available in stores in October just in time for some really scrumptious fall time sewing! Don't you think? The group will be arriving by mid October [barring any unforeseen circumstances] and we will be ready and waiting. Be sure to ask your local quilt shop to carry it. in fact , feel free to ask them if they will be kitting any of the new patterns when it does come because we are ALWAYS ALL ABOUT SUPPORTING THE LOCAL QUILT SHOP. But for those of you who do not have a Fig Tree loving shop accessible to you, we are here for you too!
But back to today.... for those of you who like to participate in our biannual KIT PRE-ORDER event, this is it!
Which is really a fancy way of saying that you order today, pay a portion of your kit every month until the fabric releases in October, 2017 and then receive the kit as soon as the fabric arrives in October.
It is, at a very basic level, our own special LAYAWAY PROGRAM. You can purchase one kit or all of them and just pay a small portion each month, making it simple, easy and affordable for everyone. Our goal is to make these little beauties accessible to all!! PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ARE NOT BEING CHARGED ANYTHING EXTRA EACH MONTH TO DO THIS... not a penny!
After the first installment, the amounts are just spread out over 4 months! This is just our best way to ensure that we have enough kits and fabric to cover everyone who wants a kit once the fabric arrives in March, 2017
Surely hope that you have been enjoying the process of our Sherbet & Creams Quilt Along. For those of you are just joining us, scroll back through a few posts to see the other posts and instructions and feel free to join us! This will not be a complicated or very involved quilt so everyone can join!
We have been buried under Market prep around here for what feels like forever… I know I exaggerate… but doesn't it kinda help sometimes to exaggerate? Just saying.
We still have people receiving their solids bundles and grabbing up new cream/low volume bundles as fast as we can make them. So I have been trying to slow down my posts a little bit in the hopes that as many people have a chance to catch up as possible. If you have been wondering if "its too late", its not, its never too late so come on over and join us! Really!
We will also have to take a little Market break here soon so bear with me on the timing in the midst of May. I most certainly will not forget about you… and it will give many of you more time to catch up. I will definitely try to get one more step in before I leave for SLC so don't worry too much!
Okay so here't the next step:
- Add a pumpkin seed shape to each 4-patch on the diagonal.
- Here are some tips for doing that successfully: for the lighter colors, or any of the colors for that matter, that seem to show the fabric through from the bottom, we created little cream "insets". What I mean by this is that if you have backgrounds that have stronger prints on them [in our case this was primarily true of the black dots and red twigs], those motifs might show right through your pumpkin seed shape. That will not make you happy when you are finished. So in order to avoid said unhappiness, we just traced and cut the pumpkin shape without a seam allowance onto plain ivory fabric. We then tucked that "inset" inside the turned shape and used a few dots of glue or your favorite glue stick [quickly falling in love with the Sewline Fabric Glue Pen but more on that later] to secure it. Its quite fast and we have found that sometimes with larger appliqué pieces that have fabric underneath, it is well worth the few extra minutes of work.
- We then found our fabulous box of FIG TREE AURIFIL THREADS, found the color that most closely matched our pumpkin seed and used that thread to topstitch the pumpkin seed to the 4-patch.
- As many of you have asked, you can of course also appliqué these seeds down. We just prefer the speed and durability of this method. We plan on picnicking with this quilt a lot this summer!
- It just comes about 1/4" shy of each corner. Although remember that the corners are pretty much irrelevant as they will get completely covered up by the next step. Normally we would worry about getting those corners perfectly but we aren't doing any worrying here at all!!
That's it for this step. If you are altering the size and not doing all 80 4-patches, you will need these in groupings of 4. Meaning that the final block will use four of these 4-patches. We will be using 80 of them for our quilt but if you are looking to make less, these are the increments that you could make: 64 blocks for a square quilt or 48 blocks for a smaller quilt altogether.
NOW FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE STILL PANICKING BECAUSE THIS IS AN APPLIQUE SHAPE. A COUPLE THOUGHTS FOR YOU….
As you can see above, no actual appliqué is involved :-)) . Really you should try this…. are you buying it? Have I convinced you? Look at some of the comments of folks who are surprised at how easy it is….
Okay but moving on. Here is the alternative. We are not in love with it, but it will be along the same vein as what we are doing here… or at least as close as I can get it in my brain right now! It should be pretty cute although a bit more angular than the pumpkin seeds.
- Instead of cutting pumpkin seeds, cut your SHERBET SOLIDS into 2 1/2" strips. Cut them up into 2 1/2" x 12" pieces. if you are making all 80 pieces, you will need 27 different strips since you can cut 3 pieces from each strip.
- Cut your 4-patche apart in half on the diagonal.
- Center and insert one of the 12" long pieces in the center and sew to one of the halves. Once you have done that, trim up the corners of the solid piece with the tip of your ruler so that each end comes to a corner of your block. Try as hard as you can to make sure that your trim is centered on the solid piece so that your block is even [but don't worry if you are a bit off]!
- Add the other half of the 4-patch to the other side as shown, centering it on the solid piece that you just inserted into the center. Your finished block should be app. 7 1/2" but I would wait to trim up all your squares at once, when you are done with all of them. That way you can see what most of your blocks are turning out to be and make them work together.
… the actual center piece will be longer than this one, this was just all I had here in front of me LOL!
… I pieced one and then had to rip it apart to show you what it will look like so that is why the ends of the second half looked trimmed off.
We will post better/ more specific pics on this tomorrow. This is all I had right now and I wanted to get this post up here for those of you who have been patiently waiting for the next step! If this alternative doesn't make any sense, don't worry, more tomorrow.
If you are following along on INSTRAGRAM, use the hashtag #sherbetandcreamsquiltalong and #sherbetsandcreamquiltalong because people are using both!
Okay that's it for now. Bye, Joanna
By the time you read this, I will most likely be deep in the throws of booth setup! I am on my way to Houston Quilt Market and I just wanted to pop in really quick and give you a quick sneak peek....
Introducing ALOHA GIRL.....
We will be posting on INSTAGRAM throughout the show so if you want to see all the happenings, follow us! We are figtreeandco on INSTAGRAM. We will also try to post some facebook or blog updates while we are there but sometimes that doesn't always happen until we get back!
Also ALL THE BRAND NEW PATTERNS THAT ARE READY SO FAR ARE UP IN THE SHOP TODAY! Click HERE to see them!!
Also if you haven't already heard about our fabulous new Fig Tree Sampler BOM, you might want to click HERE. We are almost completely out of spots!
Talk to you soon!
We thought we would send a few Christmas ideas out there for those of you crazy organized quilters who actually sew for Christmas in July... you know who you are!
Personally anyone who knows me would never put me in that category [the category of an organized pre-planner] but I really do appreciate seeing all the wonderful progress that the rest of you make when you plan ahead like you do!
So... we put a bunch of our Christmas feeling patterns on sale this week and we have made up a couple Christmas in July bundles that would work beautifully for several of the patterns that we have on sale. Or get you started on any other Christmas project that you might have in mind. The bundles all have (9) 1/2 yd. cuts in them.
For those of you retro types, we even added in a Retro Christmas in July bundle. I am sure you can figure out which one that is!
To check out the Christmas in July goodies, click HERE.
P.S. If we run out of bundles quickly, we will make up some more that are similiar so do not panic, just check back a bit later.
Have a great day!
A few weeks back, my friend Sherri asked me if she could interview me about some of my favorite MODA BELLA SOLIDS and how I use them. As I talked to her about a few of my favorite colors, the ones that I have in the studio by the bolt, I remembered how much I really loved these fabrics and colors!
She posted some wonderful info about it HERE and explored more than just my own favorites but those of some of my friends so you should really check it out.
As for me, after talking to Sherri I felt the need to make up a yummy little bundle of our Spring feeling favorites around here. I mean these colors are just the inspiration you would need to create some beautiful Springtime goodies. They make me think of creamsicles in every flavor- strawberries & cream, pistachio & cream, mint julip & cream, bananas & cream [I do know that creamsicles don't come in some of those flavors but I think they should!]. As for the blues, they make me dream of sea glass in every tone. Just think of it!
I think it would be just the perfect addition to your solids stash and at this amazing price... I don't think you can go wrong. If you make something fabulous with it, be sure to send us a picture and we'll post it on FACEBOOK if we can!
Click HERE for more info.
On the 12th Day of Christmas my true love gave to me, twelve Drummers Drumming.
I just want you to think about it for a minute people. In the name of interesting gift giving, this poor lady now has girls milking cows, others dancing around her courtyard. She has a small band of pipers and drummers. Oh, and let's not forget the band of leaping lords. She is overrun by all kinds of fowl including geese, partridges, turtle doves, swans and hens. But its not all bad. She has managed to get a bit of jewelry out of the whole thing. I guess she could have done worse. She could have gotten a box of chocolates and the dude could have called it quits. He certainly gets an A for creativity if nothing else.
Over here in our little Fig Tree neck of the woods, we are a bit tired and certainly dazed by all of your shopping prowess. You guyss are quite a dedicated bunch and we really appreciate you!
For this last day we have a grab bag of little goodies. All those little items that we didn't manage to share on any other day. We have: LITTLE BAG O' PEARL BUTTONS, TWINE, CHARMS, POT HOLDERS & a few new BUNDLES.
Up first: TWINE IN 3 LOVELY COLORS
Up second, RETRO POT HOLDER:
Up, next PEWTER CHARMS:
Up next, BAG OF PEARL BUTTONS:
Last up, A FEW NEW YUMMY BUNDLES
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And the LAST free goodie for our 12 Days is our CHRISTMAS ROSE STOCKING pattern. A perfect little addition to this time of year!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
For ordering info on the goodies above, CLICK HERE.
Can't believe that the 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS SALE is done! It has been so much fun to do this with you and such a fun Christmas tradition to do for the second year.
Tune in tomorrow for a special follow up post!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS FINE PRINT
*** Please note that if the 12 Days of Christmas website space is blank, that means that the item for the day has sold out. Nothing is wrong with the site, the item has just been sold out.
• The Fig Tree 12 Days of Christmas sale starts on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and lasts for 12 days.
• Each day a different kit, stocking stuffer or home dec goodie will be advertised. Each day a special offer will be made as well.
• Each special offer will only be available on that day. Each goodie will only be available while stock lasts. Many of the items offered will sell out on that day.
• For those of you who want to continue to purchase items throughout the 12 days of the sale but want us to hold your purchases for one shipment, you need to note that in the comments section of your order. If there is no note, we will ship the items as they are ordered.
• For those of you who have your items held for one shipment at the end, your orders will continue to accrue shipping charges for each order throughout the sale. We will calculate the actual shipping at the end and then refund any necessary shipping charges then.
Sorry for the silence. I have a post coming up about it but am having a hard time writing it all down so bare with me..... [p.s. I haven't forgotten about the giveaway winners, promise]
* * * * * * * * * * * *
I know that we just barely made it without having to call it CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST... which just doesn't quite have the same ring to it, don't you think?
But it's still July, so maybe you could just go with it with me?
For those of you who received our newsletter, this is old hat... but we are having a quick little sale on all of our Christmas related patterns... 15% off.
Jelly & Jam
Christmas Rose Stocking
Boughs of Pomegranates
Go to our SHOP, to search for the patterns above you might like.
And the icing on the cake, or the star on top of the Christmas tree, is that every CHRISTMAS IN JULY order will receive a FREE RED, GREEN OR CREAM FAT QUARTER!!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
To top it off we have made a few more Christmas in July bundles just in case you haven't already stocked up on your favorite Christmas fabrics this summer [not on sale but definitely going with the theme]....
Bundle #3 [mostly a mix of the previous 2 bundles]
Click HERE for more info on those.
Hope your summer is turning out to be full of wonder!
STRAWBERRIES FOR SALE!
We thought we would have some fun today and send you some strawberry love. Given our apparent love of all things strawberry around here, we are putting anything strawberry related on sale 20% this weekend.
This includes any pattern that has the word strawberry in it or is made out of our STRAWBERRY FIELDS fabric collection.
This would include:
Berry Sweet Bag
Now you have to go to the website and search for the patterns to see what they are. Some are quilts, some are accessory goodies, some are purses... there is even a box cushion in there. Have fun searching!
You can start here.
In addition, we thought we would tie up some strawberry themed bundles for you for the occasion. These are not on sale, but are added into the festivities just for the fun of it. Not a lot of them here so get 'em while you can!
Click here for more info on the Strawberry Bundles.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
With ANY STRAWBERRY SALE PURCHASE [that would include the bundle or any of the above mentioned patterns], we will include a STRAWBERRY CAFE pattern in your order free!
Strawberry Cafe has a pattern in it for some fun summer curtains and a matching table topper. How could you possibly resist?
Happy Strawberry searching and sewing,
I’ve missed you all just a bit... well maybe more than just a bit. I forget sometimes what a regular part of my process this blog has become.
Hope you are all enjoying your summer and your families! We have obviously been completely MIA here since Market and I will write more about that [and the state of my dad's health] a bit later. Needless to say that everything in our office is backed up about a month so please do not feel bad or be offended if I haven’t responded to your email. Orders have been going out regularly and our NEW WEBSITE has been up without a glitch but anything that has needed my attention has suffered either a lot or a bit depending on if anyone else could address it. I am really sorry.
So I’m back now… for now anyway and even if its completely too late, I still plan on showing our Market Booth pics this week along with more debuts of our new upcoming patterns [that we are now furiously working to get out to you before the end of the month].
For today, however, I wanted to show you a few bundles that our gals have been furiously cutting while I have been away...
First up, CREAM #13. For those of you who have been following along, this is the thirteenth in the series and we hope you enjoy it!
Click here for more info.
Next up, is our new pink, cream and grey bundle. There's not a lot of these as we just used up some end of bolts to make them up but we thought you might enjoy the classic combination in a little bundle of fabric goodness.
Click here for more info.
Oh and we have a bunch of new SCRAP BAGS for those of you scrap lovers out there. Good ones with a mix of the current lines in them!
Click here for more info.
I'll be back tomorrow. Because I really did miss you guys.